Monday, May 25, 2009

"A Poor Attempt To Imitate The Man"

12 Memorial Days ago we laid to rest the leader of our band. Yesterday I spoke in one of the wards in our stake accompanying a member of the high council. The topic was sustaining the bishop, and at one point I referred to the bishop I first remember, dad. Then later in my own ward I got to thinking about what a good life I have had, beginning with great parents and the "band of brothers" - real brothers - a bunch of them - I grew up with. It seems that these old photos are all I have available to post here, but thought I would post them here in a modest effort to do what I can to remember dad on this Memorial Day. He was a veteran of the Korean War, and that's worth honoring him for. But more importantly, he & mom reared a bunch of good kids by setting aside things of temporary importance and living for the eternal. Great examples. So however you decide to celebrate today, whatever your memories are, I hope these couple of photos remind you of a great man, who's life certainly bears every attempt, even poor ones, "to imitate the man."

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures. He was a great father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad and I used to talk about how different he and I were from each other (and that may be one reason we got along so well, who knows), but I've often been disappointed at not being more like him. I love hers two photos. They are classics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That kid in the bottom picture looks a little rough around the edges. Good thing he had a great dad to keep him straight. He has been a pattern for me to follow - I just never could stay within the lines. He always made me feel his equal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last picture. It's hard to believe it has been 12 years.

    ReplyDelete