Sunday, May 3, 2009

Reduce & Simplify

The leadership of the Church has for many years encouraged us to reduce and simplify as we serve in the Church. The most recent example of which is the new welfare pamphlet, In the Lord's Way. It is both smaller and thinner, as well as being more focused content-wise. We have taken this to heart as a couple and have spent the last few years going through our garage & house and giving things the pitch. This is a work in progress, as we tighten the criteria in successive passes through our "stuff".

This last week we passed another milestone as we eliminated our satellite connection. We have found that we just don't watch the TV any more, and don't need the expense. This reminds me of when we started out in life together in 1976. TV was not a priority, so all we had was a little black & white portable with a very small screen. As I recall, that, and a subsequent model of exactly the same proportions, was all we had until some time when we were living in Bennion and bought our first color TV. The model we have now is the one that replaced that one, so it is pretty old, but as functional as we care to have it.

In addition, I finally began to attack my office, which seems like a "stuff" magnet. It might be different if the "stuff" came in and was orderly placed, but that is not the case. Basically, it is more of a "piling system" than a "filing system". So I am going through it all and trying to get it all organized and giving as much as possible the pitch. The main focus is to rearrange the furniture so we can paint the walls, and so that I have an operational place to put my radio. Yes, I am slowly but surely still working on getting my radio up and running with a lot of support from Doug and Mike.

Here are pictures of progress. One bookcase is already in the spare room and the other (shown here) will go to the other side of the room so that my desk can take up residency on the west wall. The process takes a little longer as I need to organize other places in the process (like the closet where my computer desk resides); and I am going through all the stuff in the drawers, boxes, etc. The bookcase shown was full of all kinds of things, including "stuff" that is not books, that needed to find somewhere else to be - either in a place of order, or in that famous blue toter we keep on the side of our house. Oh yes, and you may notice the absence of the little "rat's nest" that was in the corner to the left of the bookcase.
This is the desk that awaits my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment