Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day - I lost 85 to 31

This Labor Day morning I was reflecting upon labor (work, not Labor) as I engaged personally in this great pastime. The particular incident upon which I pondered occured sometime in the 1980's, lets just say it was in 1985. My father's father had a couple of big - very big - trees in his back yard. At least one of them was a cottonwood, maybe both were. In 1985 I would have been 31. Well, as I was visiting him one day he indicated that he had arranged for someone to drop them, and on Saturday intended to cut them up - sans chainsaw assistance. Well, I thought, how could I let this "old guy" do all this work alone? So I said I'd come over and help him. Grandma indicated her gratitude and Grandpa said, okay, if you want to. As we attacked the trees with our bow saws, it seemed an impossible task. But I went to work with a will, and pretty soon was all done in. But he just kept going . . . and going . . . and going. Needless to say, I was not much help to him. It took him a number of days as I recall, but he did it - at least all vestiges of the trees disappeared. But the important lesson for me was that I got out-worked by an 85 year old man. Upon expressing my amazement at this, he merely commented that I was working too hard and needed to slow down. I am not sure I have been very successful in following his advice, but I never forgot it.
And I have nurtured imaginations (vain, no doubt) of out-working one of my grandsons when I am 85 - probably not TVH. But one way I am trying to stay in shape to do this is to hand-till my garden. I love digging in the dirt, and I especially love the way it makes the garden look. I can't wait until November when I can get another load of free compost from the dump for this and other gardening efforts on my lot in life.
In the "faith preceeds the miracle" department, here is a great little canoe I acquired recently from a good friend. It needs a bit of paint before it goes into the drink, but I am excited to work on it and get it ready to go. Uncle Peter acquired a similar vehicle from the same source that also needed some repairs, but he has already done his part and it works great. I need to get on the stick and get mine ready.
Finally, on this Labor Day 2010, I'll close with one of my favorite "work" quotes. It comes from Elder Wilford W. Andersen, speaking at the Saturday Morning session of General Conference, April 2010: "The difference between the devils and the faithful members of this Church is not belief but work."

1 comment:

  1. That canoe is pretty nice. I would be happy to be of any assistance you need in fixing it up.

    james.

    ReplyDelete