Thursday, February 25, 2010

10 Gallons!!

Well, I finally made it - years behind Uncle Peter - but I did make it to 10 gallons. Of course, I guess this doesn't count all the blood I gave in Utah. I think he is close to 14 now. Last Wednesday I gave my pint and picked up a nice t-shirt and mug. Seems like dad & Peter each got a free dinner out of the deal too, but nobody said anything to me about that, so I guess that's a thing of the past. Anyhow, beyond the temporal trappings I feel very fortunate to be able to reach this milestone, and to reflect upon the good it has brought many lives over the years. Serving is a blessing, no matter what it consists of.
And now -- on to 20!
My dad first got me hooked on this almost 40 years ago in 1972, just after I turned 18 - the age limit back then. I can still remember going into the BPOE building in Marysville by the lake. We laid on tables and afterward there were as many donuts as you wanted. I've never had any trouble giving blood, except for the time I gave at lunch time (This was when we lived in Bennion and the only time in my life I ever played Church softball. I home taught the coach, Jeff Abeyta, and really liked the way he ran things.) and by the time I went to play softball that evening I had forgotten all about giving blood - until I ran to first base. By the time I got there I was just a tad woosy. But fortunately I didn't have to go to second, and took it easy the rest of the game.

2 comments:

  1. You're amazing!! I like the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Dad! That is so awesome! I love the shirt and the glass! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete