Friday, February 4, 2011

Coming Soon

Another of my recent projects has been helping my mother prepare a transcription of my father's missionary journal for publication. Here is a picture that will no doubt be included in the finished product. Those appearing here, from right to left, are: Elder HG Hall, Hubert ??, Eustace King, Elder Clark. The note on the back of the photo indicates that these two were "my best scouts".
Just as a teaser, here are some quotes from the journal, which, depending upon my success in formatting it well, may be around 100 typewritten pages. A few caveats: (1) the spelling rivals James' in creativity; (2) editorial comments [in brackets] are from my mom, as she was pretty diligent in maintaining the flavor of the original entries, which, by the way, are actually in very good penmanship - a trait that did not take with his 3rd son; (3) editorial comments in {this kind of bracket} are mine; (4) this is not your father's mission -- it's your grandfather's (or great-grandfather's as the case may be) -- to quote a wise historian: "The past is an interesting place, they do things differently there." Please enjoy.

Mon. Sept. 13, 1948
Mom brot {see what I mean?} Raona & I to Salt Lake. Raona started today at the Bishop Office building {Presiding Bishop's Office, where she worked while he was on his mission} as a filing clerk & typist. I registered at the mission home, where I renewed acquaintences with Sid Gilbert, Ross Hogan, Dave Bishop, Russel Hunt, & Boyd Rollins. I also made many acquaintences. Ross & I were given Room 316 in the Carlton Hotel with two other Elders.
We (the missionaries) attended classes all day. Then I went out to Richards’ [I think he means his uncle Richard Heaton] uncle Burnell was there. Mark & June & I took the station wagon, then went out to see Raona who was staying at her aunt Nell’s.
I returned to the hotel and studied the assignment which included memorizing the books of the Old Testament.

Tues. Sept. 14, 1948
I spent the biggest part of the day in the Temple. I walked with Raona, after work, to her bus. I ate my luncheon & supper at the Temple cafeteria. I also registered for the Draft at the Selective Service Board today. I studied the bible and attended an evening class in song leading.

Wed. Sept. 15, 1948
This morning I awoke early & studied, then went to the various classes of the day. I took Elders Hogan, Hunt & Gilbert up to the 4th floor of the [B]ishop’s off. bldg. to meet Raona. At 5:00 I went with her to catch her bus.
A health class was given in the evening.

Thurs. Sept. 16, 1948
The 373 missionaries in the home had their pictures taken today. Bishop Jos. L. Wirthlin gave a very good account of the church’s financial status & the part played by tithing, offerings, business’, Welfare etc. in the classes.
I met Raona, Reva & Nina for Lunch. Then went to Nina’s apt. for supper. Reva & Raona walked with me back to the hotel.

------------------------------
Tues. Sept. 21, 1948
I went over to the Church offices this morning for my setting apart. I was set apart by Henry D. Moyle & was given a wonderful blessing. It told of my talents, ambitions, leadership activities and the promises in store for me. I was very pleased. I was able to talk with apostle Moyle for a short time after my setting apart, personally.
Charley & I went to the show “Luxury Liner”, with Reva & Raona. Charles stayed with me at my hotel room again.
------------------------------
Sat. Sept. 25, 1948
I awoke coming into Cincinnati. We changed to a chair car for the remainder of the trip. Just out of Cincinnati a man four seats behind me died of a heart attack. I got into a discussion about two hours out of Roanoke, with a bible student. I did quite well, using common sense to disprove his thots and teachings. Upon arriving at Roanoke I met and renewed an old acquaintance with Jim Middleton whom I went to BAC {Branch Agricultural College - this college in Cedar City was, at the time, affiliated with USU, but is now Southern Utah University I think}. He and some other elders took Ross, Elders Call & Christensen and I out to Back Creek Branch to a party for an Elder Olsen who was leaving that Branch. After the party we went [to] Guy Ferguson’s home to sleep. As the butt of a joke, I preached the gospel to Guy until I found out he was already a very good Mormon.
------------------------------
Sun. Feb. 6, 1949
Today I am 21 years of age. 5' 8" tall and weigh 158#. We had an exceptionally good Sunday school today and a fine nite meeting. Elder Baker & I ate over to Dewey and Nita’s. I wrote a quite a number of letters but didn’t any where near catch up. Elder Baker and I realized an answer to prayers as Asheal accepted the Branch clerk job.


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to get the finished project. He was an amazing man.

    ReplyDelete