Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Follow the Prophets

A couple of weeks ago we participated in the biennial stake conference broadcast along with all of the rest of Northern California. It was, as one would always anticipate, great. We were counseled with love and inspiration by Elder Rasband, Sister Wixom, President Packer, and President Eyring.
My understanding of the purpose of President Eyring's remarks was to increase our faith in the teachings and priesthood authority of the living prophet. This obviously resonated with me, as following the prophets has been a guiding star in my life since my conversion in 1970. Revelation, the kinds spoken of by Elder Oaks in this last general conference, has always been the foundation of my testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I have often cited that commercial from the 1960's that proclaimed that, "those who do not read have no advantage over those who cannot read", and related it to the living prophet. Thus, those who do not listen to and follow the living prophet have no advantage over those who have no idea that there is a living prophet of the Creator on the earth at this time. So although we should be cautious about quoting the brethren when they speak in stake conference, I think I got this one right, so here goes:

The most striking thing I got from his talk was that, "Our happiness is dependent upon our willingness and ability to follow the living prophet." Although he did not expressly articulate it, I am sure he meant both temporary happiness in mortality and our eternal happiness. This, I know from my own experience, is true. Recently in fact, I have been reflecting upon my life and found that my willingness to follow the prophet over the years (sometimes related to seemingly "little" things) has resulted in an increased ability to follow the prophet (in some major things) in the immediate present. I suppose that it is obvious that one's ability to do anything is enhanced by one's willingness to do it. But what I am expressing is more the concept that willingness to follow the living prophet, exercised independent of any other effort, over time yields dividends at crucial times that are unexpected and gratefully received.

The other point that hit home with me was President Eyring's discussion of what it means that a living prophet signs the assignment letter sent to each full time missionary called to serve. We still have nothing to report on that front, but when we do, I am certain that we will take some time to reflect upon the blessing it is that "there are prophets again in the land."

3 comments:

  1. "President Eyring's stated purpose was to increase our faith in the living prophet."

    Faith in a man? I hope not; even the prophet does not have the power to save.

    Lectures on Faith, pg 16:

    Having shown in our previous lecture "faith itself-what it is," we shall proceed to show secondly the object on which it rests.

    We here observe that God is the only supreme governor, and independent being, in whom all fulness and perfection dwells; who is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnicient; without beginning of days or end of life; and that in him every good gift, and every good principle dwells; and that he is the Father of lights: In him the principle of faith dwells independently; and he is the object in whom the faith of all other rational and accountable beings centers, for life and salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize here to President Eyring for not having been more cautious about my inadequate attempt to convey the message of a living prophet in stake conference. I am sure that it was not his intent that we should place our faith in a man over his Master, who is the Author of Salvation, and the Author & Finisher of our faith. I have hopefully remedied the situation with modifications to the text. I believe that the intent of President Eyring's remarks were to increase our faith in Christ by testifying, as one of His servants, that He has sent again prophets in the land: That these men are his authorized agents upon the earth, and as such teach the gospel as He would, were He here (see Lectures On Faith, Lecture 2, paragraphs 30-37, Alma 13, particularly verse 6; and Doctrine & Covenants 1:17-18); and that as His authorized agents they exercise the power of salvation to God's children upon the earth (see Matthew 16:19 and Doctrine & Covenants 84:19-25, 107:18-19 & 8-10, 27:12-13). To me President Eyring's remarks were of a positive nature, similar to the statement in Doctrine & Covenants 84:36 - that those who hearken to God's prophets, heed their teachings, and follow them, receive Christ. But Christ reminds us that the opposite is also true, that to the extent that we do not receive His prophets, we distance ourselves from the salvation He offers (see Matthew 21:33-45, Luke 16:45-52, and Doctrine & Covenants 76:98-101 & 88:32).

    I apologize again for my weakness in articulating the message, but I do believe that the message that to exercise faith in God requires that we exercise faith in His living prophets is important enough for a post on my blog, notwithstanding my weakness (note the remarks in the October 2010 General Conference by two members of the Seventy: Elder Claudio R.M. Costa and Elder Kevin R. Duncan, and President Eyring's address in the Saturday PM Session of General Conference, April 1997).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I guess I was wrong from the start. I finally read Chapter 21 of the new Handbook and 21.1.39 indicates that I should never have shared my notes from stake conference in the first place. So I will not be making this mistake again. I guess that I should have just indicated that I was very impressed with President Eyring's remarks and referred people to his Sunday AM address from October 2010 General Conference. The message is essentially the same.

    ReplyDelete